One of the most important things you can do for your health is to get plenty of good quality sleep—sleep well.
But what can you do if you have difficulty sleeping? Here are 5 simple tips to help you get the sleep you thought only babies could get. Learn how to sleep like a baby below.
1. Stop using your electronic devices 2 hours before bed. These devices emit electromagnetic fields that can be stimulating to your nervous system.
2. Avoid stimulating foods and beverages after 5 pm. Some examples are alcohol, coffee, certain teas, and chocolate. The effects of these substances can last for hours after consumption. Reducing these substances combined with setting an early evening cut off times will help keep these foods from interfering with your sleep.
3. Get regular exercise. Exercise isn’t just for physical fitness. It also serves to balance your hormones and as an outlet for stress. Do your intensive workouts early in the evening. You will get a surge of energy at first but then you will have an easier time winding down to sleep later.
4. Do a leisurely activity prior to bed. It should be a relaxing activity that is different from what you do at work or school. A nice regular paced walk (not a power walk) to enjoy the scenery is a great way to unwind before bed and improve your sleep.
5. Natural Supplementation. Supplementing the calming minerals calcium and magnesium is a great natural prescription to catch some Zs.
There are many different causes of difficulties with sleep. At our office, we determine what the cause of your sleep difficulty is (usually it is a specific organ or system of organs that are dysfunctioning) and then find the nutritional deficiency linked with that dysfunction. By targeted supplementation as well as dietary changes you can again know what it means to sleep like a baby and discover easy ways to improve your sleep naturally.