Sugar may not seem scary, but what it can do to your health and body are.
This article with bad facts about sugar will tell you some of the top reasons to cut sugar out of your life. Sugar is bad.
When we say sugar, we mean Sucrose – refined, white sugar; brown sugar; evaporated cane juice; and others. We also mean high fructose corn syrup, natural fructose (fruit), lactose (milk), starchy foods, and refined carbohydrates that act like sugar in the body.
- Sugar makes you tired. Sugar may seem to give you a short-term boost, but it always results in a crash. If you drink pop at noon and you feel tired at 3:00, it’s because of the sugar.
- Sugar makes you hungry. Foods that contain sugar in them have very little nutrients, so your body gets hungry sooner than if you had eaten a balanced meal. People who drink pop all day or eat candy do so because the body is looking for nutrition and it’s not receiving it, so it stays hungry.
- Sugar makes people, not like you. When you get a sugar crash, you get grumpy or grouchy, and you are no fun to be around.
- Sugar makes things go wrong around you. Immediately after consuming it, your brain floods with glucose, and it goes into hyperdrive. Reasonable and proper thought and function of the brain turns into: “Zoom, zoom! – oops – mistakes made!” Then the sugar crash happens, and it’s: “Wah, Waah – too slow – who cares – let it slide!” Either way, your productivity, and efficiency go down at work and at home.
- Sugar makes you fat and bloated. Sugar feeds bad yeast in your gut, and you bloat up. Sugar is the cause of rising obesity in kids and adults in this country. It’s not from eating too much fat; it’s too much sugar and refined carbohydrates. Sugar turns on your fat gene– SCD-1. If your fat gene is turned on, well, fortunately with proper nutrition, it is possible to turn off.
- Sugar causes disease. Sugar makes you unhealthy. Sugar breaks down tissues in your body, damaging your organs and causing disease.
- Sugar makes you stink. The broken-down tissues in your body are like rotting flesh. It can get pretty gross and can make you have bad body odor even if you’re a clean person.
- Sugar causes chronic pain. It causes inflammation in areas where you have destroyed tissue which leads to pain.
- Sugar is expensive. The cost accrues after you eat it. You have decreased productivity at work, you get sick, you end up in the hospital after years of consumption. The number one cause of personal bankruptcy is health care costs (even with insurance coverage!) Not mortgage defaulting.
- Sugar is a gateway drug. If you tell your doctor that you are tired or grumpy during the day because of your sugar crash… WATCH OUT! He may give you Prozac or some other mind-altering drug.
- Sugar makes you old. It dries out your skin and worsens your vision. Your joints deteriorate, so you need a cane or something to aid your walking.
- Sugar ruins your life. It can give you cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Sugar kills you. It’s much slower than a bullet, though.
These scary facts about sugar come from empirical evidence found right here in the office. We see it in our patients when they first come in to get help with their health. It’s backed up by thousands of studies as well. But, our best evidence is our patients who’ve come to see us because of health problems related to eating sugar and refined carbs and excessive insulin production. After they get educated about real food and nutrition, they turn their health around avoiding surgery and potentially deadly future health problems. Learn about different types of sugar to maintain good health today.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Darren Schmidt, D.C., N.D