Fungus (plural fungi) is a microorganism of which there are many species.

These species include yeast, mold, and mushrooms.  As with many things in life, there can be good and bad qualities of fungi. Fungi are used to make bread, wine, beer, kombucha, and some cheese.  Fungi break down dead trees and animals in nature and through that process provide beneficial compounds such as carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphorus back into the soil. Some fungi, such as Ganoderma, Shiitake, and Lion’s Mane are being researched and used for their therapeutic qualities. But, some mold can be extremely toxic (example: Stachybotrys – black mold). 

Mold spores are everywhere. Problems begin to arise when certain mold spores grow in damp, dark conditions and produce Mycotoxins, which are poisonous to humans. Common places where mold can grow are areas with water or dampness- sinks, tubs, kitchens, bathrooms, washing machines, basements, the humidifier on your furnace, indoor plants. Fungi/mold can live on coffee (OH NO!), nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Here in Michigan, during the early fall, mold can be found in higher quantities in the environment- falling leaves, rainy weather, damp ground.

I have had first hand experience with mold exposure several times in my life. For me, I believe it has caused sinus problems, headaches, and heart pain. Symptoms of mold or mycotoxin exposure can be: sinus and lung problems (because we breathe it in), skin rash or irritation (ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch, toe nail fungus, vaginal yeast problems), circulatory problems (heart palpitations, shortness of breath, heart pain), anxiety, brain fog, headaches, muscle pain, digestive problems, and fatigue.

What you can do to help your body and health – 

  • There are supplements that can help. CellCore’s Biotoxin Binder and Carboxy are top choices in our office for addressing mold/mycotoxin problems. Additionally, supplements such as Oregano, Spanish Black Radish, Echinacea, Garlic, and Pau D’Arco can be anti-microbial and beneficial to the immune system. For specific recommendations for your situation, it is always best to consult with your Practitioner.
  • Inspect and clean areas where you suspect mold overgrowth. 
  • Diffuse Thieves (from Young Living) to improve your immune system and benefit the lungs and sinuses. Thieves can also be used topically on problem skin areas, but remember to use a carrier oil such as coconut, jojoba, or castor oil if applying it on a sensitive area.
  • Navage and Neti Pot can be helpful if you have sinus problems.
  • Avoid white refined sugar and dairy, which can feed fungi/mold in your body. 
  • Sweat with exercise or sauna use.
  • Use an Air Purifier. I have a Molekule Air Purifier that helps the air quality in our house. Some filters can decrease the amount of harmful microorganisms in the air such as bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
  • Use leftovers within 3 – 4 days. Watch for mold growing on food and discard those right away to protect yourself from toxic fungus.

If you have concerns about your health or just want to feel better, we are here to help. We can support you and your body’s specific needs in any situation. 

Yours in health,

Kerry Cradit, B.S. Nutrition and Food Science

Sources:

https://epi.dph.ncdhhs.gov/oee/a_z/mold.html

https://www.britannica.com/science/fungus

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0031942206004080

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3924982/

https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/apsnetfeatures/Pages/Stachybotrys.aspx